Sean's Favourite Getaways

So, these past 2 weeks may have been very summery with surprisingly warm and sunny weather, but that doesn’t make up for the fact that I should have been spending the past fortnight on a beach in Tunisia. 


For this riveting edition of ‘Sean rambles nonsense for a few hundred words’, I’ve decided to discuss a few of my favourite holidays.
I’ve been very fortunate to have gone on numerous holidays abroad, all over the world, ranging from countries in Europe such as Greece, Portugal and Spain, to places further afield like Canada, Jamaica and the Maldives. 

When thinking about the country I’ve visited the most, I am pretty sure it is either Canada or Greece. Having a large family, with a sizeable portion of them living all over Canada, I have been lucky to visit them on a number of occasions, with my first visit being over 20 years ago and the most recent visit being in 2015… I think. I have visited a couple of different Greek islands with 2 of these occasions being classed as typical ‘lads holidays’ and it’s safe to say that most of the stories that would be retold from those holidays shouldn’t be shouted from the rooftops…

My favourite holiday destinations so far are, without doubt, Jamaica and the Maldives. I was incredibly lucky to have visited these countries as a teenager with my parents and brother, with some of the highlights being the unique trips that you could go on, such as climbing up waterfalls and boat trips. 

One bucket list holiday that I was incredibly grateful to have been given the chance to have experienced was visiting New York, especially due to the timing of the trip over to the states. It was a few years after 9/11, 2007 I think, and I got to walk around the outskirts of where the twin towers used to be. Getting to witness ‘ground zero’, and seeing the aftermath, even after 6 years of the events occurring, was surreal. Standing behind a fence, and even just looking at the vast area that was cordoned off to the public where the clear up had taken place years before, was fascinating and certainly eye opening. 

2019 was the most recent holiday abroad I’ve been on when myself and my girlfriend, Jordan, went to Spain for a week to sit by the pool and beach and do literally nothing apart from consuming alcoholic beverages in the sun. Sensibly, of course. Is there really a better way to spend a week in the sun?

Here’s hoping that the restrictions across the world continue to ease, when safe to do so, so that we can continue to travel the world in search of the sun and experience a bit of culture that isn’t Wetherspoons. Or if anyone fancies having The Passing Sages tour the world then I’m sure none of us would complain… just saying.

Sean x  

Comments