Should You Play For Yourself Or Play For Someone Else?



Should You Play For Yourself Or Play For Someone Else? 


This is a question that constantly has popped up over my journey of becoming a musician and is
something that regularly comes up when I am teaching guitar. Like most things in life there is no
straightforward answer and no single correct one. 


Grooving in the crowd with Mr Clyne at PJ Molloys, 3rd August 2019


A big thing that I strive for when teaching guitar and music is to never try and force someone into my
way of thinking, or to play the instrument exactly how I play it. Instead I like to offer advice and
guidance to enable the student to find their own point of view and approach to music and the guitar by
offering a range of thoughts and ideas. 


The key word in the question is "play". Why do most of us first pick up an instrument or start singing?
It comes from a place of "play" that we all have as children but it gradually gets "worked" out of us. I
believe that "play" is such an important part of life as it is where we first start developing our creativity.
Children have a unique ability to turn everything into a game but as we get older many put a stigma
on the idea of "play" or  "play" becomes less fun as it turns into "work". For example someone going
from just playing an instrument to having music become their job and source of income. 


So to get back to the question, for many of us we start "playing" an instrument purely for our own
satisfaction and development. We get intrigued by how things work and want to be able to do it
ourselves. Now for many this is where their musical journey ends and that is completely okay. Many
use learning and playing an instrument as a way to relax, a way to keep the brain active or simply as
a way to return to that childlike state of "play". They may also want to write songs, almost like how
someone writes a diary as a way to express their feelings, without ever having the intention of sharing
this with the outside world. 
This idea of "play" was first introduced to me when I used to attend a musical theatre group when I
was younger. The director spoke to us about one of the key thoughts behind why people go and see
theatre shows. It is because they themselves have forgotten how to "play" and by watching people on
stage, be it in a musical or a "play", it reminds them how to "play" and forget about everything else
that is going on in their life, at least for a few hours. 


  
Playing for a Production of Rent at the Edinburgh Fringe 2015 with a company from New York.


Many people that fall into this category never feel the need to perform, or write music for or with other
people and may never see music as a job or a way for them to make money. This is absolutely okay,
I have many students and friends that feel this exact way. 


On the flip side, I also have many students that fall into the opposite category, the one that I find
myself in. 


From a young age I always took great pride in entertaining people and making them laugh and smile.
I can admit this also came from a place of wanting people to notice me and and pay attention to me. 
Therefore it was a natural transition for me to go from playing music for myself, to playing and
performing for others. 
Playing for PopFilter from new York and their show “Fauxchella Music Festival” at the Edinburgh Fringe 2017.


As a musician playing in bands, and performing at gigs I see it as just that, a performance. I see that
my role on the stage is to bring a show to the people watching. I see many musicians who get up on
stage and seemingly play for themselves, almost acting as though the audience should be privileged
to be allowed to witness them. I personally see it as my duty to perform for the people who are paying
and spending their time to come and see me, or my band or whatever show or person I am playing for.
If I don't put on a show for them and leave the audience feeling that their time and money has not been
well spent and that somehow their life has not been bettered, then I have failed in my role and should
not expect people to come back. Therefore if I want to work as a performing musician, I have to play
for other people. 
I remember writing an essay in university discussing how the role of a musician and performer can be
just as important as a doctor. Now before you start thinking I'm some other self-righteous musician
that sees their role in society as way above where it actually is, hear me out. For many, a gig or a
concert or a show or whatever you want to call it is an opportunity for us as the audience to escape
the realities and stresses of our life's for a few hours and enjoy the music that we love. Music has
such healing qualities and I reckon if you think hard enough, you will remember a gig that you have
been to where you felt free and where the music really spoke to you and made you feel something.
I know I can. 


Rocking with Stay For Tomorrow at King Tuts 5th April 2019.


Anyway, back to the question. My approach to performance also feeds into my writing and creating
however this does not mean that I don't also spend time making and playing music for myself. I just
know how to separate the two. I write songs in my bands with the intention of other people liking them
and wanting to listen to them. 
If working on writing for someone else's song, my sole goal is doing everything in my ability to add to
and improve that song. I write for the song. 
Writing with and early version of The Passing Sages in 2017.

I guess what I am trying to say is that for those of you who want to work as a musician, then you
have to be willing and open to play for other people. You aren't always going to be able to do exactly
what you want all of the time, but there will always be a place for you to play for yourself as well.
Also just because at times you will be playing for others, it doesn’t mean that you can’t have a heck
of a lot of fun doing so!

Feel free to drop The Passing Sages a message with your thoughts, we would love to hear what your
view is.

Cheers for reading,

Nic

P.S Bandanas are cool!


Comments