Carrie: Teenage Nostalgia - The Good Old Days


This week my blog is not music related, however, I feel most girls who were teenagers brought up in the early 00s will be able to relate.

There was a lot of pressure when growing up to make sure you were looking your best. My top beauty go to's were stick on false nails, Dream Matte Mousse foundation and tooth gems. I had clip in hair extensions which did not match the colour of my real hair. 

At one point, my hair was dyed platinum blonde on top and dark brown underneath. I looked like a pint of Guinness. I remember pulling my hair back so tight that my head would hurt when I eventually took the hair bobble out. I would wear gradual fake tan which made my hands orange, my legs streaky and leave me smelling of curry powder.

I remember when MSN became a big craze. There was nothing more exciting than rushing home from school, dialling up the internet (which took a lifetime) and logging in to MSN messenger. 

Your screen name had to have your best friend's name in it along with a load of symbols, your boyfriend's name and more symbols. 

It would take ages to reply to a message as not only did you have to add extra letters onto words, you had to type with a mixture of capitals and lower case. 

It would read: 'HiYaH HoW aRe YoOh?' 

Whilst on MSN you would be downloading music from Limewire or Winmx.  One song would take all night to download and you would end up with a load of SPAM emails in your inbox.


Once the songs were downloaded and transferred to a CD, you would then take your portable CD player to school in your pocket which would weigh down one side of your school blazer. My CD would usually consist of songs by DJ Rankin, Glasvegas, Green Day and Whitney Houston (It was a bizarre combination of music).

Social media was just really starting out when I was a teenager. These were much simpler times when people actually spoke to each other in person. It'll be scary to see how much technology and social media develops within the next 10 years!


Comments