George Clinton and P-Funk: Holly's Favourite Live Act

The first band I ever went to see live were The Raconteurs at the Edinburgh Corn Exchange back in 2008 (it was great - I used to have a worryingly obsessive infatuation with Jack White) and since then, I've been lucky enough to see some absolutely amazing live acts. 


From rock gods like Toto, Rush and Steely Dan, alternative legends like Steven Wilson and Primus, to massive pop icons like like Frank Ocean, Kendrick Lamar and Rihanna, I’ve definitely seen some awesome music. 

Some of these artists have put on a show and performed with a certain energy which has completely blown my mind. 

Nothing for me, however, has ever quite topped the live music of the utterly legendary, George Clinton! Despite being 78 years old, it's safe to say that George Clinton still well and truly has the FUNK. 

George Clinton led the bands Parliament/Funkadelic, who established themselves back in the 1960's and featured a wide range of rotating musicians (including the also legendary guitarist Bootsy Collins!). Back in the day, the bands gained huge popularity with how they combined contemporary funk with space-age psychedelic rock - their music was, and still is, totally unique. 

Watching the band live, I absolutely loved the energetic blend of old school funk music with contemporary hip-hop, which was performed by full stage of a weird and wonderful musicians, rappers, dancers and singers. 

You literally can't help but dance to his meditative, mantra like funky jams which include classics such as 'Give Up The Funk', 'Mothership Connection' and my ultimate favourite, 'Atomic Dog'. His live shows are so vibrant and entertaining, he almost magically makes you move whether you want to or not. 


Photo credit - Amy Harris/REX/Shutterstock

If you’ve never listened to futuristic funkateers Parliament Funkadelic, you will have most likely have heard some contemporary artists who have been inspired by, used samples from, or collaborated with George Clinton, such as Dr Dre, The Red Hot Chilli Peppers, De La Soul and Outkast. His music has quite clearly had a huge influence on many music-lovers and creators across the globe. 

Unfortunately, this year is likely to be the final run of George's live tour but I'm fortunate to have seen him perform twice. During both gigs, I felt like I was somehow being transported through a psychedelic journey through space and time, and I definitely don't blame the substantial amounts of JD which was consumed either. 

His live shows have inspired me to strive to become a more engaging performer and to make music which everyone get down to, as for me, that's what it's all about (and the Sages too!) 

If there's one thing that I'm sure of, it's that George Clinton and the P-Funk crew certainly are, lightyears in time, ahead of their time. 

Holly x

Comments