Holly; My Favourite Artist


Anyone who knows me well will be well aware of my borderline obsessive love of Kate Bush who is hands down: my favourite artist ever!  

From my vinyl collection, the biographies, the proudly framed poster on my wall to the little red ballet shoe that hangs from my rearview mirror, to put it simply, I just LOVE her! 

When I was a wee girl, my mum had a copy of The Red Shoes in her CD collection. I remember being mesmerised by the album artwork; a gloomy landscape of dark sepia mountains behind a pair of beautiful blood-red ballet shoes, which I always thought they looked as if they might have been dancing off into some strange, fantasy world. 

This album continues to be my favourite despite it being famously one of the least-popular: there's lots of fun and upbeat moments combined with deeply moving tearjerkers, huge collabs and as always, her beautiful, unrivalled songwriting. My favourite track is 'Moments of Pleasure'; a touching and personal exploration of life and all it's joyous, subtle moments - it's the only song which makes me cry everytime I hear it! 

Kate's creativity to me is unparalleled and I have never heard anything like it. I've always loved the bizarre ideas behind her songs and music videos; from being lost at sea, computers, astronauts, motherhood, sensuality, magic, sunsets and snowflakes; she is always fearless and captivating in her approach to storytelling. 

I can't help but respect and appreciate her body of work from the musicianship, the dance routines, the costumes, the intricate arrangements and production, music videos and everything else in between! 

I don't doubt for a second that Kate is anything short of poetic genius. When she was only 16 years old, she wrote the profoundly deep 'The Man With The Child In His Eyes'. When I was 16, I was spin-drinking cider down the park and blasting Cascada from a Sony Ericsson!

I revisit her music regularly and everytime I do, I find something I've never noticed before.
For me, Kate's music is totally ahead of her time and is a gift that truly keeps on giving. 

'Every sleepy light must say goodbye
Today before it dies
In a sea of honey, a sky of honey
Keep us close to your heart
So if the skies turn dark
We may live on in comets and stars' 

Comments