Meet The Band: Sean


Last, but certainly not least, I’m Sean and I’m the real talent in this band of poor dad jokes, awful puns and eye-catching clothing. 

I started to take an interest in playing the drums in early high school. I don’t really know what attracted me to the instrument but I think I’ve always been pretty musical thanks to my parents.

My mum was musical in her youth playing the piano, and possibly the clarinet (which is definitely not a guess because I can totally remember which instrument it was that she played…). Growing up, my mum would frequently have on compilation CDs such as Dave Pearce’s dance anthems, which I firmly believe is a contributor in my affinity with the drum kit since it is rhythm driven. This was also about the same time that my training for the ‘bad dad dancing at weddings’ began, a talent that is often honed during nights out. Roughly 7 years ago, I got the opportunity to see Faithless play live in Glasgow where my mum kept me company and I have no doubt that I was the bigger embarrassment. 

My dad on the other hand is a big fan of Rock and Metal with bands such as Motley Crue, Iron Maiden and Guns N Roses featuring prominently on his list of favourite artists, which has rubbed off on my own listening habits. We frequently attend these kinds of gigs whilst enjoying a beverage or 2. My lack of money can certainly be attributed to the amount of gigs I attend and my dad can take the blame for a large part of that since he was the one to open my ears to this type of music. Sorry not sorry, father.

I like to think that I have a wide range of interests when it comes to music, whether that’s playing or attending gigs. I have been told I look out of place at Rock/Metal gigs and I've also heard similar comments whilst attending club nights where genres such as Drum and Bass, Techno or House are featured. Music is certainly not boring and my wide interest in a number of genres definitely keeps me interested in performing as a drummer. 

If someone had told me when I began to take up the drums as a hobby roughly 14 years ago that I’d be trying to have a sustainable career as a musician, I would have laughed. If I ever reach that goal, the credit will belong to my parents for subjecting me to a variety of music as a child, my music teachers in high school who put up with me being a nuisance and my bandmates who tolerate my constant moaning and whining. 

Next time on ‘Sean rambles on about music’, I’ll possibly discuss how I coped with 5 years of university whilst studying a music degree, why Creed are one of the best bands ever (and everyone who disagrees is wrong), or why Nic Holson needs to stop wearing bandanas.

Sean x



Comments