Mr Clyne and Covers

One of the most difficult things I find in the band is suggesting covers, especially if we're looking for something current. My knowledge of music releases is limited after 2004 and much earlier for being aware of anything in the charts.

Reflecting on the use of covers over the years I’ve been in bands or jamming with friends, I realise I prefer to stick to the original version or in some cases a version that has seemed to supersede said original.

The first song I attempted to learn that wasn't part of the school curriculum was ‘Smooth Criminal’ - the Alien Ant Farm version no less. Nu-metal was at its heights as I picked up bass. There was quite a contrast to what I was playing in a band, though quite a mixed bag as it is, Beatles; Black Sabbath; T-rex; Stereophonics and sadly Oasis (married with children which I feel is slightly redeeming than something like Wonderwall a song I like if its not done by oasis). 

There were songs that were easy to cover the basic components of the song and by no means faithful reproductions, decent enough to be blasted out at Tranent Labour club. That would be my first time performing out of school, which would have been Christmas concerts playing steel drums and separately accompanying my friend at the time Sam playing ‘Back for good’ at a rotary competition. Sam won but could only go to the final without me, I'm sure he’d have won if he had gone.


A rather creased copy of my first gig poster. Sam and I were 'Lost Within' - teen angst much.

My various ventures into college were fruitful for new jamming opportunities and I was lucky enough to play with the jazz band at Stevenson College during my first visit where on my second visit and leeds successful time there (all play, no work) I also learnt more about disco and soul thanks to the band I was put in for a class covering as we did A Taste of Honey, Peaches and Herb and oddly included Frank Zappa’s ‘Stick it out’. I also studied in Paisley on two occasions, the first time I was limited in my range of genres, my take away from that being Colourbox;s ‘Don’t tell me the moon is blue’. The second occasion gave me the opportunity to play in multiple bands, one a mix of hard rock and ska with the others being more contemporary chart hits of the time. My time in Paisley allowed me to play multiple times in ABC albeit ABC2 which was always packed and quite the experience.

I remember being at a Ray Davis night in the West End (Maryhill) and not knowing ‘Everybody’s gonna be happy’ was a Kinks tune and that night is also one of the nights I’ve been mortified after a performance but thankfully not my doing, that time. Finally on the playing front and before I took several years out I and then wound up a Sage, the last cover I would have been part of is Elbow’s take on Destiny's Child 'Independent Women’ at Òran Mór.

This is really just a succession of song titles and places and veered violently from what I set out to write. In summary I think I lack the imagination and the compositional skills to reimagine songs, I like to nail bass lines in songs and if I was to be in a covers band it would be to faithfully reproduce the music. The favourite cover I've played is Rage Against the Machine - Guerilla Radio. Least favourite played is Kings of Leon - Sex on fire. Best cover seen is unknown band - Easy Lover. Worst seen is unfair to say but it took place in Leslie, Glenrothes. Most overrated seen Moby's cover of Creep to close out Glastonbury '03.





Comments