Holly's Love of Glass Making

Hi everyone 

I thought today I’d talk a bit about my glass art, which is one of my hobbies outwith the band which I’ve picked up over the last couple of years. I have never been a massively arty-farty person, however, a few years ago I decided I wanted a stained glass panel in my house and after trying to find a glass artist who could make one for me, I realised it was super expensive! So… I decided to look up some local stained glass classes and do it myself. 

I went to a couple of local classes at Kinghorn Glass Studio to learn first and I was instantly hooked! There’s just something about glass - the way the light hits off it, the beautiful patterns you can make with it, the amazing colours and textures and so on. I have been really interested in this as a medium every since. There are some incredibly cool glass artists out there and my ultimate favourites are Pinkie MacLure who creates unbelievable fine art pieces and Glass Art Werks who create very funky and original gifts, panels wall hangings. 

Once I felt a bit confident I made a start on my panel which eventually took me about 8 hours to complete - a picture of the finished piece is below! I then started experimenting a bit with more panels and smaller items - my first fused project was a Beyonce piece for my friend’s birthday! My biggest project to date was my mum’s stained glass window for her summer house which is of the sun rising over the ocean. This took me months to complete and she loves it! 

I ended up being in possession of an awful lot of tools and equipment which was taking up loads of space, so my mum’s boyfriend made me a little workshop in her garage which is absolutely ideal! I bought my first glass kiln about a year or so ago and I’m looking forward to learning how to use this properly and start to make some really cool stuff. 

I feel like despite doing it for a couple of years now, however,I am still very much an amateur as there is SO much to learn. I definitely feel like this is a hobby for life and I am hoping to get better and better as time goes in - maybe one day when I feel like my work is of a good enough standard I’ll start a little Etsy shop and start selling my pieces but until then - I am just enjoying experimenting :)

Check out my glass work on my instagram page: @hollyroseannaa 















Comments

  1. Jane said she could sit and look at the window all day,she totally loves it.....x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment