Being a Musician in Lockdown with Nic


Being a Musician in Lockdown
By Nic Holson



I don’t know about everyone else, but I for one have felt like I have developed so many skills during the past 3 months. Besides actually being at home now for dinner and preparing meals, rather than grapping a sandwich between guitar lessons, a host of other skills have been improved because of new requirements due to the lockdown.

Now I know lockdown has affected everyone completely differently, some worse than others, but I just thought it would be interesting to discuss how my life as a musician has changed.
Week one began with the mad rush of moving all my guitar lessons to online. How do you teach online? What software do you use? What equipment will I need? What equipment will my students need? Quick bit of researching online finding out what other instrumental teachers were using and Zoom appeared to be the platform of choice. Little did I know at this stage was that Zoom was going to become the place where I would spend most of my time for foreseeable future.

Luckily, I made the decision the afternoon before the lockdown announcement was made to head to my band and teaching space and collect a bunch of equipment and instruments. I collected my main amp, my ESP LTd Explorer, my Jim Deacon strat, my audio interface, a dynamic mic and condenser mic, a mic stand, a bunch of xlr and jack cables and my clarinet and Mr Clyne’s alto sax. The need for the last two items will be explained below.

Now that all the equipment that I needed was at home, it was time to set up the space and then road test it all. Thankfully my good friend Joe from Stay for Tomorrow was there to be my guinea pig.
Teaching over the internet brought a whole host of new challenges, the main one being the slight time delay which makes playing together with a student near impossible. However, I quickly got used to the setup and the best ways to teach students online and I just want to say a huge thank you and well done to all my students who adapted so quickly!

So, the clarinet and the saxophone I hear you ask about. Well for the few months just before lockdown, The Passing Sages had been hard at work putting together an EP with plans to release in May. However, like many things, this has been delayed. The positive side to this has been more time to work on and develop the songs and the arrangements. A few of the songs on the EP have horn parts which had all been written and programmed in using MIDI and although samples have improved leaps and bounds over the years, there is still nothing better in my opinion than the real thing. At least for the type of music we are producing. This is where the clarinet and sax come in. With this extra time to work on the EP, I decided I was going push myself and learn the sax parts I had written and record them on a real saxophone. I have played some saxophone before, a little tenor sax in high school and back in 2018 I played the saxophone part for “Christmas Wrapping” by The Waitresses when we covered it for a Christmas gig. Shout out to Moonlight Zoo’s Jamie Adamson who joined us on stage to play guitar for that song!

 Some of the tracks on the EP use trumpet samples but sadly I don’t have access to a trumpet and have also never played one before. I do though own a clarinet and played clarinet all the way through high school so I decided to take the trumpet parts and re-write them for clarinet so that it would work with the alto sax parts. Now for those of you that understand transposition you will realise that I had to first of all transpose all the midi parts that had technically been written on a piano which is a C instrument into the correct keys for the alto sax (an Eb instrument) and clarinet (a Bb instrument). 

Once that was done, it was then a case of learning how to actually play the parts. Now let’s bear in mind that I originally wrote all these parts either from melodic ideas in my head, or by playing things on the guitar. Therefor at no point was I thinking at all about the physicality of playing these parts on a real sax or clarinet. Never mind some of the very challenging fingerings, what is the main thing that a wind player needs to think about that a guitarist doesn’t? Breathing!
This meant re-working some of the parts to allow the player (me in this case) to breathe. Now although I played clarinet all the way through high school, I haven’t played regularly for a long time, so my breath control isn’t quite up there. So I actually had to take a fair amount of time to re-develop this. I don’t want to give anything away about what songs are on the EP, but I nearly passed out recording the end of one of them.

Recording the clarinet and sax parts for the song was a huge learning experience, even if it was also very tiring and frustrating at times. I apologise to my girlfriend and my neighbours for having to listen to the same parts repeatedly, followed by expressions of pure…anguish from yours truly. It was all worth it though because the tracks already sound so much better than they did before...I say humbly.

Now lockdown has also brought us the exciting “Live From Lockdown” sessions. For solo artists this is easy, make your backdrop look lovely, find a way to balance your phone, head to your favourite social media platform and hit “go live”. Sound quality almost isn’t even an issue as people expect it not to be that great anyway. Oh, you may also need to practice and learn some songs as well….yes I am being a touch facetious!

For bands it’s a whole different ball game. Instead what we have needed to do is have everyone record and film their parts for a song, mix the track all together and edit a video. This seems relatively straightforward on paper but it in facts takes so much longer than people expect. What this has done though has pushed me to not only develop my recording and mixing skills but also to learn about using video editing software. Not content with putting up something half baked that doesn’t represent the band well, this has seen many…many hours be put in to learning editing techniques and tricks and thinking about creative ways to showcase the band.

As a band we have been speaking for a while about increasing our online content, especially with videos on YouTube and so the positive in all of this is that it has pushed me to develop these skills. This has also led me to research and learn about cameras and invest in a decent camera for vlogging and doing videos not just for The Passing Sages but also my own online teaching.

Whilst I don’t want to ignore the fact that a lot has been happening in the world that is far more important than anything I might be doing or have to say, for everyone sitting at home saying they are bored and don’t know what to do, use this time that you have to push yourself, learn new skills and develop existing ones and who knows, you may just discover a whole new passion.

Let us know about skills that you have developed during lockdown and until next time, keep safe and stay classy!

Nic


Comments