Sean: A Tribute to Some of the Best Musicians We Have Lost



With the very sad passing of one of my favourite musicians this week, Neal Peart, I felt it was fitting to use this blog entry to discuss some of the artists that I've not had the pleasure of seeing live.

On the topic of Neal Peart and Rush, it is amazing to see how many people regard them as pioneers in the music industry and the sheer amount of tributes online at the moment is heartwarming. 

Unfortunately, there are a few on this list that I haven't seen because of a death to a member of their respective band.

I had the opportunity to see Rush when I was still a student at university, but since it fell on the day of an exam, I unfortunately had to miss them. I can remember one of my classmates leaving the exam early as he bolted to catch a train through to Glasgow, much to my envy.

One of my favourite vocalists, Chris Cornell, also features on the list of "artists no longer with us so I won't get the chance to see them". When news of his untimely death broke, I was gutted because there was murmurs that Audioslave were possibly making new material and touring. Just after Chris' passing, I went to see the band 'Inglorious' in Glasgow and they performed a cover of Black Hole Sun, a well known song by Soundgarden, who were Chris' other famous band. At the same gig, Inglorious performed another cover from a band who had just lost their singer due to suicide.

It was only a matter of weeks after Chris Cornell died when the music community lost Chester Bennington, the singer from Linkin Park. Fortunately, I had been at a music festival in Austria just days before Chrster's death and had been lucky enough to have seen Linkin Park perform. I am very glad I did get to see them, in hindsight, since it was the last opportunity I would get.

On a slightly less morbid note, there are a host of bands that I've never seen live and that is due to either geography and the lack of artists coming to Scotland for tours, or that they've stopped touring due to retirement or being on hiatus.

Artists such as Rage Against The Machine, Pearl Jam, Fleetwood Mac, Guns n Roses, Justin Timberlake, Taylor Swift and Creed all fall into this category so hopefully one day I'll get to see them all live at some point. 

I have seen Slash perform with Myles Kennedy and the Conspirators on 4 occasions but I have never seen Slash and Axel Rose perform together on the same stage. 

Perhaps on the next blog entry I'll discuss something a little less depressing…

Sean 

Comments