The Audition Process - Carrie



Attending auditions became 'part and parcel' with being a performing arts student and there was no denying this was a stressful experience. I attended many auditions over the years - some of which included touring theatre shows, cruise ships, Euro Disney characters, TV talent shows etc.

I learned over time that you can never be too prepared for an audition - the more prepared you are the less stressful the experience will be. They may ask you to sing something different, or for you to portray your character in a different way. You must do your research and prepare yourself for everything they may throw at you.

I remember for one audition I had my outfit planned out for weeks - I was going to wear a red dress. I got the sleeper bus to London, got changed in the train station toilets and went straight to the audition. I was all happy with myself thinking I'll definitely stand out with my red dress. Turns out everyone had the same thought in mind. There was about 30 girls my age all wearing a red dress! Onto the next........

My next audition was a pretty wasted journey, I knew as soon as I went in and they measured my height (me being below average) there was no chance.

It's hard not to get disheartened when constantly being unsuccessful - You start doubting yourself and comparing yourself to others. The competition out there, especially in London, is so strong. Most of the time you don't get any feedback, so you have no idea why you didn't get the part - you start going over everything in your head and wondering if you could have done it better. The truth is most of the time it's 'if your face fits'. I feel that the performers should have the right to find out why they didn't get the part or what they need to improve on. The 'not knowing' can make you paranoid and can lead to performers given up on their dreams.

After years of auditions, my priorities changed and I decided to stay at home and have a family. My advice to others auditioning is don't give up, relax and try to enjoy the experience. I'm a big believer in 'what's for you won't go by you'.





Comments