Meet the Band: Holly


Welcome! The Passing Sages now have our very own blog; woo-hoo!

We invite you to join us on our musical adventure and to immerse yourselves in the wonderful world of the Sages; the good, the bad, and the funky! (Yes, OK, that was awful; prepare yourself for even more terrible jokes once Nic starts his entries)…

We hope that this blog will help your lovely-selves stay up-to-date with our goings-on, while getting to know us all a bit better. We hope you enjoy reading our posts. 

As the first member of the Sages to kick off our blog series, I would like to take the opportunity to introduce myself; my name is Holly Clark and I am one of the band’s vocalists!

When I was told that the Sages were auditioning for a new singer last year, I jumped at the chance. Being a massive fan of 70’s style funk and blues music including Steely Dan, The Doobie Brothers and Parliament Funkadelic, the band’s influences of Chic and Earth Wind and Fire were right up my street. Having been absent from the music scene for a while, I couldn’t wait to throw myself into the creative exertions of writing, recording and performing. 

My earliest memory of music was when I used to joyfully sing along to all of the feel-good, old-school musicals at my Granny Mary’s house when I was wee, my ultimate favourites being The Sound of Music and Singing in the Rain. I then started my musical journey at primary school, where I was asked to sing a solo in the school nativity play (making my Granny shed a tear or 2!). I later became an official orchestra-geek, playing the cello for 7 years before I ended up packing it in due to violently detesting it throughout the best part of my adolescence (I regret doing that now, obviously!). I also loved to sing in the Fife Youth Theatre musicals (NERD ALERT).  

I gradually found my own musical style when I was about 16, a couple of years after I started playing the guitar. I enjoyed learning pop covers and writing my own little acoustic ballads on the piano and guitar about positively catastrophic teenage dilemmas such as love, heartbreak and boyfriends. Eventually, I finally mustered up the 
courage to cautiously emerge from my bedroom to start going to local open mic nights and playing gigs with my dad. 

I few years later I joined my first band, The Faceless Crowd which was LOADS of fun: it was great to release my inner rock chick and experiment with the electric guitar. 

More recently, I went solo and released the acoustic ‘Candyfloss EP’ which I'm still very proud of today.

I'm thrilled to now be involved with The Passing Sages and I'm keen to see what lies in store for us. We have lots of exciting things coming up in the pipeline which we are very much looking forward to sharing with you all very soon.

Keep on grooving! :)

Holly x 


Comments